Monday, March 12, 2012

Dharmsala

Hey guys! So I'm currently in Dharmsala, India and it's been the bees knees. I know I shouldl write about the North India tour that I went on after Rato Monastery but ask me in person and I'll tell you later. I will also tell you this in person too because I freaking love Dharmsala. Dharmsala is located in north India at the Himalayas.  It is a huge Tibetan community (atleast upper Dharmsala is) and it is the dwelling of his holiness the Dalai Lama. Yeah thaz right, the Dalai Lama. DL! Living in Dharmsala has been really different because I'm living with a host family and it is a different demographic( lots of Tibetans and tourists). So my family owns a small 3 table momo and thentuk (noodles) restaurant but its really cozy and lots of people eat there. My mothers (ammala) works at a bead shop. They have 2 daughters but only the younger 6 year old lives with us. Her name is Tenzin Tchela but I renamed her Pew, which means monkey in Tibetan.  Its really nice to live with a hose family because it totally gives you a different experience.  Their house consists of 3 room and a bathroom. Its really small and I (and another pacrimmer) live in the shrine room which serves multiple purposes including the living room, dining room, and the bed room.  My family doesn't speak much English so theres a lot of smiling involved but its alll goood!

Soooo Dharmsala has a lot of tourists which means that theres tons of shopping and eating to do. Lots of cute cafes. Lots of jewellery stores. On a clear day, the view is to die for and so beautiful.  You can see the white peaks of the Himalayas, the  forests, and a view of lower Dharmsala.  Its chilly thought! Cold cold air. I swear, i'm turning old because I get cold so easily...

My legs hurt too... which is weird cuz I dont exercise anymore. Okay tangent!

Hmmm.... theres sooo much to say about this place. Heres some random things
Tibetans are super cute
The breakfast consists of bread and more bread. Lots of bread and carbs in Tibetan diet
I go to sleep between 9:30 and 10 every night
Theres a lot of stray dogs. They're much bigger than other locations in India
I almost get run over by cars. There are crazy ass drivers here
All the cars are white oddly enough.

Dharmsala is really small (basically 2 streets) but i'm sad that i'm only here for 2 weeks! then spring break! unrealll

No comments:

Post a Comment