Monday, March 12, 2012

Rock me Lama with a Dharma wheel

So remember when I told you that we were at a Tibetan Monastery? Well we were there during Losar, the Tibetan New Year, and consequently living in Dharmsala at a really exciting time.  The first full moon of the Tibetan year (which happened to be March 8) is a really auspicious day so that day we went to a teaching by the DALAI LAMA at the temple. YEAH. I saw him. heard him. sat down for 3 hours (brutal). did an avaolkiteshvara initiation. It was awesome. Hes so kind and funny too. I just couldnt believe that I saw his holiness.  Even though he is coming to LA in April, it was really incredible hearing his teaching in his (new) home town.
I really didn't know anything about Tibet before this year and its been really great learning about the history, Buddhism, and the Tibetan lifestyle.  I sometimes feel like a poser... but I guess thats what happens when you're a tourist. Its just funny thinking about why all the foreigners are here. are they studying? are they studying buddhism? do they want to learn tibetan? Everyone has their owns stories and man, its quite an experience.
Another really interesting day that I was fortunate enough to experience was March 10, Uprising day. This is the day that Tibetans protest all day and walk all the way down to lower Dharmsala.  People had face paint, held up flags, and crowded the temple.  I was walking down to check it out until I saw Lisa( our business coordinator) and Nima (the man) and found out that we were going to have a PRIVATE AUDIENCE with his holiness. SO I ran back showered, dressed up in my ammala's chupa (women's traditional dress) and went to the temple with the group. On March 10, I met the Dalai Lama, shook his hand (wouldn't let go) and took a picture with him. I was so flustered! It's difficult not to feel compassion and an overwhelming feeling of joy in his presence. Wow. Incredible. I still can't believe that I ended up seeing him and meeting his holiness. Highlight of life

I've been so fortunate and being on this trip is seriously unreal.  I am really loving Dharmsala and maybe its because of the change in environment or reading religious texts but I'm really learning to let things go and go with the flow. Even if you feel horrible for one minute, you might have a chance to turn that around.  Reflective. I know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment